bouquet background

Monday, January 16, 2012

My Surprise for Martin Luther King Day

I love holidays. Not only are they an excuse to eat yummy food and have celebrations, but Kelson gets to take the day off and stay home with me, which is awesome. Kelson and I made the best of our holiday last week and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. He volunteered to plan our day's activities and refused to tell me what we were going to do. All I knew was that we were going to drive about two hours away, and that it was going to be cold there, so I assumed we were going to the mountains. I just packed the picnic and hopped in the passenger seat to leave on our adventure. We drove through beautiful citrus orchards and up into the gorgeous mountains. Shortly after we started up the mountain, we turned on to the twistiest road I have ever seen (and mind you, I have been on some seriously crooked roads driving around the mountains of eastern Oregon).  For the next ten miles or so (which takes a long time at 20 miles an hour), this is what we saw:
We were completely encased in fog. This was actually a pretty thin spot. For the most part, we saw absolutely nothing all the way up the mountain. Luckily, we went high enough that we got above the fog, and I finally discovered our secret destination:

We went to the Hale Observatory on Palomar Mountain. It has a 200 inch telescope that was the biggest one in the world for a long time. It was really fascinating. It would be awesome to actually get to look at the stars through it.

Kelson was right when he said it would be cold up there. We got our one and only glimpse of snow for the winter.  Apparently San Diego has made me weak, because I was freezing. It was a great day, though.

The trees there were full of mistletoe, which I had never seen in real life before.  Kelson deserved a reward for planning such a fun date.  Thanks Kelson, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment