bouquet background

Monday, May 12, 2014

A Mother's Day Full of Blessings

My heart is full of gratitude this mother's day.  It is the first time that I get to celebrate this day while holding my beautiful baby in my arms. What a wonderful feeling! At the same time, I feel for those who suffer today. I know it is a difficult day for many wonderful women. Two years ago, we suffered the first of our two miscarriages just 3 weeks before Mother's Day. That Sunday, Kelson had to work, so I went to church by myself. I sat in the back and just wanted to leave so I could go home and cry by myself. Watching all of the mothers with their children was just too hard. As I walked out after Sacrament meeting, probably not looking particularly happy, an elderly man whom I did not know and don't remember ever seeing again after that stopped me, patted me on the shoulder, and said, "Don't worry, next year you will have one too." I still have no idea who he was or why he would say such a thing to me. However, I felt a comforting spirit fill me as he spoke and knew that his words were truly meant to comfort me. When we learned that we were expecting again the next fall, I thought it was really neat when I realized that our baby would be born right around Mother's Day. Unfortunately, that baby wasn't meant to join our family at this time either. However, by the time Mother's Day came around again, I was 13 weeks pregnant and finally to the point that I felt confident that I would soon be a mother. I felt very blessed last mother's day. Sarah may have still been on the inside, but I was her mother. That kind gentleman's words came true. For all of those who struggle on Mother's Day, my heart goes out to you.  I pray that you may find the blessings and the comfort that you seek.

I am so grateful for my mother.  I only hope that I can be as good a mother for my daughter as mine was for me. She is my best friend and a wonderful example of what it means to be Christlike. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

Kelson spoiled me all day this Mother's Day. My first gift, from Sarah, was that she only woke up once during the night on Saturday night, and it was only for about 10 minutes. She also took a 2 1/2 hour morning nap.  Thanks, Sarah!


Kelson made me a delicious Mothers Day brunch, consisting waffles stuffed with fresh pineapple and strawberries.  It was delicious!
 The young women in our ward made boxes of cookies and flower bouquets and sold them to the dads for Mothers Day as their camp fundraiser. They did a great job.
Rather than a normal card, Kelson etched a love note into the lid of one of my dishes. I love that boy!

A while ago, I mentioned that I would really like a pink hibiscus bush. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked out our front door to find this, along with two other colors, planted in front of our house. Kelson drove all over town on Saturday looking for the color I wanted.
My mothers day blessings kept coming at church, when the men surprised all of the women by planning a celebration for us during the last hour of church. They sang us a song, and then they had a whole buffet of desserts just for us. They made some amazingly delicious things. It was awesome!

After church, Sarah gave me another gift by going down for the night in just 10 minutes so that I could enjoy dinner with Kelson and the missionaries. I was feeling great about life as I settled down after dinner to relax and write this blog post. Just then, Sarah woke up. I spent the next hour and a half trying to get her down for the night. All together, I nursed, rocked, bounced, snuggled, soothed, and cajoled Sarah to sleep 17 times last night. It was a long night. However, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am her mother, and when she is having a rough time she wants nothing more than to snuggle with me (even if Daddy is the favorite most other times.) My Mothers Day post may be a day late, but that's okay.  I was busy being a mom.  I love you, Sarah!




No comments:

Post a Comment