bouquet background

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Culinary Adventures Part Two: Grandma Would Be Proud!

Some of my fondest memories from childhood are of homemade bread, especially in my Grandma Baxter's house. When I was really little, before she stopped making bread, she would always let me make my own little loaf and bake it in a tiny pan. Grandma was such a dedicated bread baker that she even kneaded her bread on the front lawn while her house was burning down when my mom was a teenager. I have always wanted to be a bread baker, and I have tried out a few things this summer. I have been having quite a fun time.

My first attempt was French rolls.  They were delicious!

The only problem is that they were kind of flat. I am working on that.

The next time, I made them twice as big and we made french dip sandwiches with them.  They were so good!  One of our favorite things we have eaten this summer. I saved half of the dough and used it for a pizza. That was great too.

We have developed a taste for Greek food, so I decided to try making my own pitas. It is kind of like making rolls and then flattening them out like tortillas.

Then you bake them for 3 minutes in a 550 degree oven. If it works right, they puff up like balloons.  However, cooking in a 550 degree oven makes a very hot house, so I am not sure I would recommend this as the best activity for a toasty August day.

Delicious and fun! I cut up part of them and baked them until they were crispy, making my own yummy pita chips that we ate with our homemade hummus, which was also delicious.


1 comment: